We’re proud that our research contributes to the development of policy and directly influences the strategies, practices and priorities of a range of public and private organisations.
Stimulating sustainable consumption in Scotland
This landmark report presented practical guidance and an evidence-based framework for behaviour change in light of perspectives on social practices.
- Alan Warde is Trustee of the British Sociological Association (BSA).
- Frank Geels was an expert panellist for the scoping of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels and related global greenhouse gas emission pathways.
- Frank Geels is also Chair of the Sustainability Transitions Research Network (STRN).
- Luke Yates is a member of the organising committee of the European Sociological Association (ESA) Research Network on the Sociology of Consumption.
- Sherilyn MacGregor is the Convenor of the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) Standing Group on Environmental Politics.
- Tally Katz-Gerro, Helen Holmes and Catherine Walker are all part of the local organising committee for the European Sociological Association Annual Conference 2019 to be held in Manchester.
- Alan Warde is an Editor of the journal Sociology, the editorship fo which is currently held by Manchester Sociology.
- Helen Holmes is an Associate Editor of the journal Sociology, the editorship of which is currently held by Manchester Sociology.
- Harald Weiser received the award for ‘Best abstract’ at the Alliance Manchester Business School (AMBS) PhD conference, for his research on mobile phone replacement cycles.
- Joe Blakey was awarded the Royal Geographical Society Planning and Environment Research Group (PERG) award for his master’s thesis.
- Luke Yates was awarded the ‘Best article’ prize for 2016 in the Social Movements journal.
- Nichola Hutson was awarded ‘Best PhD paper’ at the 12th Corporate Responsibility Research Conference (CRRC 2016) for her article on the institutional work of trade associations during attempts to resolve environmental problems.