Meet the project team behind Towards Inclusive Environmental Sustainability (TIES).
Who is involved in the project?
The project is being conducted by a multi-ethnic, multi-faith interdisciplinary team of experienced social science researchers based in in the Sustainable Consumption Institute. The team works collaboratively and in consultation with a group of trusted advisors and a network of supporters across Manchester.
We are engaged in ethical and engaged research practices that are informed by reflexivity about power relations, structural racism, white privilege, and our own positionalities.
Sherilyn MacGregor - Principal Investigator
Positionality: Canadian-born white woman; immigrant to the UK; full time academic (professor of environmental politics) with PhD in environmental studies.
Tally Katz-Gerro - Co-Investigator
Positionality: Israel-born European Jewish woman; migration background; first generation in higher education; full time academic (professor of sociology) with PhD in sociology.
Catherine Walker - Co-Investigator
Positionality: UK-born white Christian woman; full time academic (early career) with PhD in human geography.
Udeni Salmon - Research Associate (from November 2022)
Positionality: UK-born Sri Lankan heritage Buddhist woman; full time academic (early career) with PhD in business studies.
Nafhesa Ali - Research Associate (February 2021 to August 2022)
Positionality: UK-born Pakistani heritage Muslim woman; full time academic (early career) with PhD in sociology.
Zarina Ahmad - PhD Researcher
Positionality: UK-born Pakistani heritage Muslim woman; climate activist and PhD researcher.
Research Advisory Group (RAG)
- Dr Safina Islam, Head of the Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Resource Centre and Education Trust (AIURRC).
- Maya Sharma, Collections Officer, Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Resource Centre and Education Trust (AIURRC).
- Zara Mohammed, Muslim Council of Britain (MCB).
- Councillor Mahadi Sharif Mahamed, MCC Moss Side.
- Professor Anya Ahmed, Professor of Wellbeing and Communities, Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Dr Jenna Ashton, artist and curator and Lecturer in Heritage Studies, The University of Manchester.
- Dr Shanon Shah, Director, Faith for Climate.
- Shefali Kapoor, Head of Neighbourhoods, Manchester City Council (MCC).
- Jawad Amin, Solicitor, Chair of Khizra Mosque and GM Council of Mosques.
- Muna Ahmed, Social Worker and Khizra Mosque Youth Support Worker.
- Salah Abdisamad, Community representative.
- Councillor Annette Wright, Hulme.
- Roshan Lal, Faith for Climate.
- Dr Maria Zubair, Leicester University, GM Race Equality Panel.